Community Action Partnership for Madison County (CAP) has supported our staff to embark on a journey to study trauma and the impact of trauma, as well as the social and health effects that it can influence in relation to our staff, our clients and our full Madison County community. Over the course of two years our staff were immersed in their exploration of trauma and human challenges through group trainings, webinars, simulation experiences, team meetings and newsletters. The CAP staff were also encouraged to seek out the positives and abilities of all members of the Madison County community. The approach is often referred to as a strengths-based approach and utilizes the skills, strengths and connections of the individual to meet their goals.
This endeavor was initially funded by the Health Foundation for Western & Central New York and we aim to foster a Trauma-Informed atmosphere and philosophy as our agency continues to evolve.
We are hoping to share these resources with all CAP staff, our clients and their families, as well as the general Madison County community and beyond. This website is a combination of professional resources (articles, examples of concepts, websites, videos, etc.) and is an ongoing “work in process”.
We welcome you to familiarize yourself with these resources to support your own journey. If you have information to add and share on our website, please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for joining us!
- Understanding Childhood Trauma
- Complex Trauma- Facts for Caregivers
- Video- the Attachment Theory
- 16 Ways Adults Can Support Children Exposed to Violence and Trauma
- Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Traumatic Events
- How to Talk With Kids About Tragic Events
Trauma-Informed Care (TIC)
- 10 Key Ingredients for TIC
- Laying the Groundwork for TIC
- The Wisdom of Trauma
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Fact Sheet-Understanding the Effects of Trauma on Health
- Why Trauma Matters in Primary Care
- How to Manage Trauma factsheet
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES)
- Academy on Violence & Abuse: What We Do
- ACE Study Presentation- Vincent J. Felitti, MD
- ACE Study Presentation- Robert F. Anda, MD, MS
- ACE Study Presentation- Frank W. Putnam, MD
- AVA Powerpoint Presentations
- What’s my ACES score?
- How Trauma Can Affect Your Window of Tolerance
- The Truth About ACEs
- How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | Nadine Burke Harris
- What Trauma Taught Me About Resilience | Charles Hunt | TEDxCharlotte
- Circles of Trust tool
- What is a Genogram
- FIFO Family Support
- Family Circles
- Assessment Process
- Brene Brown on Empathy
- Putting Yourself in Someone Else’s Shoes
- The Importance of Empathy
- How Empathy Works- and Sympathy Can’t
- Empathy- a Short Film
- What is Resilience?
- Resilience- Animation
- Building Resilience- 5 Steps to a Better Life
- The Trauma Informed School
- Your Value- Motivational Speech
- Resilience in the Workplace
- The Labels we Carry